This Arctic expedition cruise is one of a kind! We plan to sail above 80º N, while circumnavigating Spitsbergen under the Midnight Sun. Explore the largest Arctic wilderness in Europe with optional excursions that include hiking, kayaking and traversing a glacier, all with a good chance of spotting the mighty polar bear.
June 06 - Adventure awaits
August 17 - Adventure awaits
One of a Kind
This Svalbard expedition cruise is unique, with a great variety of landing sites and exciting Arctic experiences. We intend to sail above 80º N, with opportunities to hike, kayak and more on land and water.
Above the 80th parallel
The expedition starts by discovering the many attractions in Longyearbyen. Once at sea, we hope to sail well above the 80th parallel to within 600 nautical miles of the geographic North Pole. This Spitsbergen cruise takes in some of the most spectacular highlights of the Arctic. The local flora and fauna are in full bloom, with abundant wildlife like seals, countless seabirds, Arctic fox and reindeer.
King of the North
At the top of the chain, of course, is the mighty polar bear. There´s a good chance that we’ll see some of the polar bears of Svalbard – after all, there are more polar bears than people on the archipelago.
Summer Showcase of Nature
The Midnight Sun illuminates deep fjords, mighty glaciers and pure wilderness in Svalbard. Beautiful colors contrast the dramatic glaciers, majestic mountains, deep fjords, buzzing bird cliffs and vast arctic tundra teeming with diverse flora and fauna. Our summer journey to Svalbard in the realm of the polar bear is filled with unforgettable experiences.
Visit Svalbard in the Arctic summer
Sight polar bears – high likelihood
See the Midnight Sun in untouched Arctic wilderness
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Coach-class flights between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the voyage
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform you about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
Hurtigruten offers unique expedition cruises to some of the purest and most remote waters of the world. As with all expeditions, nature prevails. Safety is always our top priority. We continuously evaluate our cruises to adapt to unexpected weather, ice and sea conditions, and exciting nature opportunities. That’s why we call it an expedition.
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions