An expedition cruise for those who want to see and learn as much as possible, this is a voyage into Arctic wilderness at its most extreme. We plan to sail above 80º N while circumnavigating Svalbard in search of the mighty polar bear. This cruise ventures further than any of our other expeditions.
June 30, 2020
July 10, 2020
July 28, 2020 - Adventure awaits
August 07, 2020 - Adventure awaits
Welcome to an expedition considered the ultimate Svalbard expedition cruise. Starting in Norway´s amazing Arctic frontier outpost of Longyearbyen, you have an opportunity to discover the town’s many attractions. Next, we set sail and travel well above the 80th parallel, within 600 nautical miles from the geographical North Pole.
There will be great opportunities for exciting activities like hiking, kayaking and more on land and water during this Svalbard journey to explore outstanding national parks and some of the most spectacular highlights of the Arctic.
The frozen tundra is teeming with wildlife. We will scan for seals, countless seabirds, Arctic fox, reindeer and, of course, keep a sharp eye out for the top predator - the mighty polar bear. There´s a good chance that we’ll see one of Svalbard’s polar bears – after all, there are more polar bears than people on the archipelago.
This Spitsbergren cruise features incredible natural beauty - deep fjords, mighty glaciers and pure wilderness. The Midnight Sun makes it possible to fill your days and nights with unforgettable experiences.
Expeience the ultimate Svalbard expedition cruise
Circumnavigate the entire island
Sight polar bears – high likelihood
Enjoy the pristine wilderness of the Arctic
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Coach-class flights between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the voyage
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all cruises designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform you about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A Farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
Hurtigruten offers unique expedition cruises to some of the purest and most remote waters of the world. As with all expeditions, nature prevails. Safety is always our top priority. We continuously evaluate our cruises to adapt to unexpected weather, ice and sea conditions, and exciting nature opportunities. That’s why we call it an expedition.
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions