Explore the spectacular natural world and charming towns of Iceland and Norway. The experience of being on deck as we cruise into the majestic Norwegian fjords is unforgettable. Stroll through quaint Arctic villages, learn Viking history, and watch for abundant wildlife on this remarkable expedition cruise.
A Great Northern Expedition
This expedition cruise to Iceland begins in Hamburg before heading to the west coast of Norway and onwards towards Iceland.
Famed Natural Beauty
Arriving in Norway, we cruise the unmatched beauty of world-famous Lysefjorden and Geirangerfjord. This stretch of the Norwegian coast offers spectacular scenery with dramatic fjords and idyllic countryside.
Fire and Ice
Next, MS Fridtjof Nansen crosses the Norwegian Sea to the land of fire and ice - mythical Iceland. This is the home of classic sagas, long Arctic winters and summers lit by the Midnight Sun.
We visit charming towns and settlements, see iconic natural attractions like Goðafoss, Waterfall of the Gods, step across the Arctic Circle and enjoy walks.
Vikings and Elves
Iceland is a place of living history and unique natural beauty. Traditions and myths run deep. For example, if locals want to build a new road, one influential group from Icelandic mythology is first consulted - the elves.
Wild and geologically active Icelandic nature offers opportunities to explore stunning landscapes with Europe's most powerful and awe-inspiring waterfalls. Our expedition cruise offers excursions to a variety of islands, towns and settlements, spectacular views and interesting sites, all accompanied by our knowledgeable expedition team.
Explore mystical Iceland – the land of fire and ice
Sail north from Hamburg to the magnificent Norwegian fjords
Experience fascinating nature with waterfalls, volcanoes and glaciers side by side
Encounter a paradise for bird and whale watching
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all cruises designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including small boat cruising and onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Hurtigruten offers unique expedition cruises to some of the purest and most remote waters of the world. As with all expeditions, nature prevails. Safety is always our top priority. We continuously evaluate our cruises to adapt to unexpected weather, ice and sea conditions, and exciting nature opportunities. That’s why we call it an expedition.
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking and extended hiking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling