Sailing along the west coast of South America gives you a unique opportunity to explore fascinating archaeological sites and the mysteries of lost cultures. Discover the ancient Chimú kingdom’s pyramids and shrines, the Sacsayhuamán fortress, the Incan town of Ollantaytambo, and magnificent Machu Picchu.
November 04, 2018
The Inca Empire was the largest empire in pre-Columbian America. On this expedition we sail along the coastline of this ancient realm from Costa Rica to Peru.
Starting in beautiful Costa Rica, we sail south to Bocas del Toro and the Bastimentos National Park. Here you can dive and kayak among mangroves and coral reefs, as well as hike through the rainforest in search of wildlife. Then you are in for a treat as we sail through the Panama Canal! We will also explore the only coastal national park in Ecuador and visit a small coastal community known for excellent fishing.
Lost Cities and a Giant Citadel
Another highlight is the visit to the ancient Chimú kingdom, the largest mud-brick citadel of the Americas from the pre-Columbian era. You disembark in Lima for even more adventures on land: Explore the most amazing Incan constructions: the Sacsayhuamán fortress, the Incan town of Ollantaytambo, and then the ruins of spectacular Machu Picchu.
Sail through the Panama Canal
Discover some of the most important and fascinating ancient sites in South America
Explore the Chimú kingdom, Sacsayhuamán fortress, the Incan town of Ollantaytambo, and Machu Picchu
Visit a mix of exciting cities, national parks, and beautiful islands
Your Voyage Price Includes:
- Hurtigruten expedition voyage in the cabin category of your choice on a full-board basis
- Economy-class flights between Lima and Cusco
- All transfers, incl. train ride to Machu Picchu and entrance fees as described and English-speaking guide
- One overnight hotel stay in Lima, including breakfast, and two overnight hotel stays at Hacienda Urubamba, including breakfast, after the voyage
- 3- course set lunch and dinner on days 10 and 11 and a box lunch on day 12
- Wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Landings with small boats and activities on board and ashore
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team that gives lectures and accompanies landings and activities
- Complimentary tea and coffee
This is an expedition where the elements rule, and the weather and wind conditions will determine our final schedule. Safety is paramount and the captain will decide the sailing itinerary during the voyage. Therefore, this itinerary is only an indication of what you can experience, and why every expedition with Hurtigruten is unique.
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional excursions and gratuities