Be among the few to sail in the wake of great explorers as we attempt to cruise through the legendary Northwest Passage. Experience the raw, daunting beauty of the remote Arctic on this rarely-traveled journey. Even today, few ships have the capability to navigate this isolated sea passage that slices through stunning far northern wilderness.
In the Wake of Great Explorers
On this Northwest Passage expedition, we sail in the wake of the great explorers like Roald Amundsen, the first man to successfully navigate the Northwest Passage. Join us to rediscover these remote and beautiful waterways on board MS Fram.
Starting in easily-accessible Reykjavik, we set sail towards Greenland. We intend to visit colorful Inuit settlements and the UNESCO World Heritage site, Ilulissat Icefjord, before crossing Davis Strait and venturing into the Canadian Arctic archipelago, Nunavut.
Heart of the Passage
We explore deep into the heart and history of the Northwest Passage. Subject to favorable conditions, we will attempt to make our way through the icy waters of Arctic Canada.
Throughout the journey, admire vast expanses of pristine wilderness. We hope to visit several sites with traces of past expeditions, and some of the world’s northernmost communities. We will attempt to explore legendary inlets and channels and take you on exciting small boat cruises and landings.
A True Expedition
Cruising this far north means sailing through challenging ice conditions. Like the voyages of explorers before us, we will go where the ice allows. No matter where we sail or what we see, we promise you a safe and thrilling expedition.
Explore some of the most spectacular and unspoiled scenery on Earth
Enjoy great wildlife spotting opportunities - including polar bears and walrus
Trace the history as we explore the routes of famous past expedition vessels
Discover the Ilulissat Icefjord, an UNESCO World Heritage site
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- One night in Edmonton, incl. breakfast
- Coach-class flight from Cambridge Bay to Edmonton
- Transfer ship to airport in Cambridge Bay and airport to hotel in Edmonton
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including small boat cruising and onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures such as kayaking with our expedition team
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
Hurtigruten offers unique expedition cruises to some of the purest and most remote waters of the world. As with all expeditions, nature prevails. Safety is always our top priority. We continuously evaluate our cruises to adapt to unexpected weather, ice and sea conditions, and exciting nature opportunities. That’s why we call it an expedition.