Extraordinary and full of surprises, Iceland is an amazing natural and cultural destination. On our circumnavigation of the island, you encounter teeming wildlife, rich culture and welcoming people. Only Iceland offers surreal lava fields, bubbling hot springs, amazing Viking heritage and unmatched wildlife. Experience it all on this expedition cruise.
Wilderness and Viking History
Experience the best of Iceland on our expedition cruise around Iceland, the North Atlantic island nation. Our extensive voyage takes you to see a large variety of fascinating nature, wildlife and settlements.
The westen region of Iceland features spectacular scenery and is home to thrilling Viking sagas, a key part of Icelandic mythology. A highlight in the west is the Westfjords, a spectacular nature reserve where teeming bird cliffs are in abundance.
Lava and Whales
As sail north, scout for whales, as the landscape changes into vast lava fields and volcanic mountains. Grimsey is where the Arctic Circle touches Iceland, and we make sure to cross the legendary boundary before heading south towards the eastern part of the country.
Along the east coast, the nature changes again. Now we encounter thick forests, lush farmlands and colorful fishing villages. Whales and other wildlife might be spotted as we sail south towards the region’s remakable volcanic islands, while our expedtion team entertains you with the rich stories and sagas of the Vestmannaeyr.
Join us on this voyage of discovery and adventure and stay a few extra days to discover the many attractions in Reykjavik!
Explore mystical Iceland – the land of fire and ice
See fascinating nature with waterfalls, volcanoes and glaciers side by side
Encounter a paradise for bird and whale watching
Completely circumnavigate Iceland
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team.
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, long hikes (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
Hurtigruten offers unique expedition cruises to some of the purest and most remote waters of the world. As with all expeditions, nature prevails. Safety is always our top priority. We continuously evaluate our cruises to adapt to unexpected weather, ice and sea conditions, and exciting nature opportunities. That’s why we call it an expedition.
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions